Saturday 4 October 2014

Play It Forward

Today I had the pleasure of door knocking and campaigning with a number of volunteers in Sage Creek. As I went from door to door, I noticed a number of signs for “Play It Forward” and asked one family what it meant. As they explained it to me, I asked at each subsequent door not what it meant, but what it meant to them. Each person I talked to spoke with such pride when discussing the project. For those who don’t know what it is, I encourage you to visit the Sage Creek Residents’ Association website and see for yourself in detail what it is and what it means to the community. The basic idea behind it is that the residents of Sage Creek are fundraising by canvassing door to door collecting donations to build play structures at Ron Duhamel Park. The City of Winnipeg has offered tax receipts for the full donation amount that each household gives, bringing together the public, private and government sectors to make the community a better place. This vision of the Sage Creek Residents Association and the City of Winnipeg is exactly what we need to bring to all of St Boniface and the city as a whole. Everybody benefits from this amazing program as those in the area are paying directly into the city amenity they need and the City supports their grassroots effort to make a lasting impact. I am a strong proponent of green space and community economics and grassroots movements. My campaign has a stated focus on all of these areas and my campaign itself is a true grassroots movement. I am proud of the people of Sage Creek and would use this as a model for other projects in the St Boniface ward I wish to spearhead. I would encourage this method of fundraising always be made available to shared community projects and give our residents the power to create change while benefiting themselves and the city as a whole. Once again, congratulations to the people of Sage Creek on your efforts and regardless of the election outcome, I look forward to being at Ron Duhamel Park for the opening of the play structures.

No comments:

Post a Comment