Wednesday 24 September 2014

Bringing Transparency To City Hall

Clear as mud...

Our city has a problem with transparency and accountability. If you read the platforms of any other candidate for mayor or city council, you'll see that they agree, essentially without exception. What you won't find is any ideas on how to fix the problem. Don't get me wrong, they all say they'll fix it, but there don't seem to be any ideas out there. My guess is that they would have us believe that the problem is as basic as “The old guard were corrupt, but I'm virtuous. My virtue will cleanse City Hall.” If you believe that, I have a defunct business in Arizona that I can sell you for a dollar.

What has emerged in the wake of the wave of scandals emanating from City Hall the past number of years is a disturbing pattern. Certain individuals and businesses seem to get preferential treatment based on... well, what is that preferential treatment based on? CBC News investigated and compiled a report (which they had to do by hand, because there was no comprehensive list available to the public) of the top contributors to election campaigns in the 2010 civic elections. If you review the list, you'll see that the owners and senior management of Shindico combined to be the top donors during the election cycle, spending nearly $19 000 combined to support candidates.

Shindico has been in the news a bit lately, as they appear to have gotten preferential treatment as the broker in the city's deal to buy the former Canada Post building and turn it into the new Police Headquarters. They were also involved in the rather infamous fire hall land swap deals, where the Fire Chief negotiated (entirely outside his responsibility and realm of expertise) real estate transactions directly with the company. I'm sure that this preferential treatment was completely unrelated to their political contributions. If you believe that, I've still got that dormant Arizona business for a buck.

Bartley Kives, of the Winnipeg Free Press, did his own investigation of the campaign contributions from the 2010 civic election. He found that not only did nearly every campaign spend right up to the allowed limit, but that donations seemed to come from one of two sources; either from businesses and business interests, or from unions and other labour interests. Of course, the career politicians would have us believe that this campaign funding does nothing to influence their policy choices. Let me check my pockets... there might be another shell corporation in Arizona I can sell you on the cheap.

Just to be clear, I'm not naive enough to think that money can ever be removed from politics. As a candidate running a truly grassroots campaign, I'm reminded daily of just how much more effectively I could campaign if I could just have an endless supply of lawn signs, or be able to tap into a pool of “volunteer” labour to knock on doors and let the voters get to know my name and hear my message. The spending cap for the St. Boniface ward in this election is around $40 000. I'll be doing well if I get halfway there. Since I'm depending on individual donations, I still think that's pretty impressive and really speaks to the strength and awareness of grassroots campaigning.

So we've established that there's a problem. How can we fix it? Well, there's a saying that sunlight is the best disinfectant, and I'm inclined to agree. We need to address the accountability gap at City Hall. However, you can't have accountability without an account, so before that, there needs to be transparency. For their investigation that I mentioned earlier, the CBC tried to access a donor list with a Freedom of Information request. The City supplied them with a list, but with the donor names blacked out. It turns out that there is a master list that is accessible, but there can be no copies made, and the only way any record of it can leave City Hall is if someone is willing to manually compile a list of their own. Fortunately, the CBC team were diligent enough to do that. Why would the politicians not want that donor list to be publicly accessible? Are they afraid that people will find out what's going on?

As it turns out, they don't really need to worry. Would you like to see how your councillor voted on a motion last year? Unless you were at that particular Council session, you would have no way of finding that information unless a member of the media or another citizen happened to keep a record. There's no other legislative body that doesn't keep a publicly accessible record of votes, so why do we allow our City Council to do it?

Here are my proposals to fix this problem. First, I would reduce the limit on individual campaign donations from $1500 for the mayoral race and $750 for council races to a hard cap of $200 for the mayoral race, and $200 to one council candidate of your choosing. I want campaign spending to be a reflection of residents' support for a candidate, not a way for special interests to exert undue influence. Second, all donations would be made public, and would be accessible at City Hall and online (with provisions for protecting donors from potential identity theft). The people of this city have a right to know where a candidate's support comes from. Third, I would ensure that a Hansard-style record of all debates, motions, and votes in the Council chamber exists, and is made available in hard copy and online (in a searchable format) via the city's website. That this somehow doesn't already exist is frankly baffling to me. Fourth, on a personal level, if elected, I will host a monthly open house, giving the people of my ward the opportunity to meet with me in person to discuss their concerns and to hold me accountable. These will take place on a rotating schedule at various community centres and schools throughout the ward to ensure equal opportunity for attendance. On top of that, I will continue to make my personal contact information available to constituents, just like I have during this campaign. I want to hear from the people of St. Boniface, and you deserve to continue to have access to your representatives all the time, not just when they want your vote.

The current culture at City Hall is one of corruption and shady backroom deals, cutting the public out of key decisions, and ultimately contributing not just to our financial deficit, but to our democratic deficit as well. I want our civic government to be guardians of the public trust, and to conversely earn back the trust of the residents of this city. It will take time, but the first step is to start with the (admittedly modest) reforms I've proposed. The question we all need to ask ourselves is whether or not the old guard of career politicians is capable of extricating themselves from a corrupt system. If you truly think they are, well... Let me tell you about this great business opportunity in Arizona that I can get you into for a very reasonable price.

I encourage you to leave a comment or reach out to me at ryandaviesforstb@gmail.com .  If you like what you are reading and wish to support my campaign in any way, donation, yard sign, hand out fliers or other forms, please let me know.  This grassroots campaign is gaining momentum thanks to people who want to see changes to City Hall and the way we communicate with our residents.

Here are the news pieces I've referred to in this piece, as well as a few other relevant stories laying out some background.






No comments:

Post a Comment