Wednesday 17 September 2014

Allow Me To Introduce Myself

Thank you for taking the time to visit my site and learn more about why I feel I would be the right candidate to cast your vote for in the upcoming 2014 Winnipeg Civic Election.

My name is Ryan Davies, and I'm running for City Council for the St. Boniface ward. I've lived in Winnipeg for most of my life, and I've chosen to run because I have a deep and abiding passion for this city, its people, and its institutions. If elected, I will focus on improving our day-to-day life in this ward by working diligently on the following issues:

1.      Quality of Life
With your support, I want to make Winnipeg, and, most importantly, St. Boniface a place where people want to live, work, play, and raise their families. First and foremost, we must ensure that all areas of the city have access to the same level of civic services. As a youth baseball coach and dog owner, I've seen firsthand that there are too many areas without meaningful access to public transit, community centres, recreational facilities, and even dog parks. Winnipeg is a city on the cusp of a population boom, and a large portion of that growth is taking place in St. Boniface. However, unless we plan effectively for that growth, more and more residents will be left out of everything the city has to offer. With that population growth, we also need to ensure the safety of our residents by enhancing our police and fire coverage. Civic government is the level of government closest to our daily lives, and it's time that we elect people who recognize and value everything that can be accomplished through City Hall.

2.      Changing the culture at City Hall
We have all watched the malaise and corruption at City Hall for too long. I want to introduce transparency and accountability to all civic proceedings. I'm tired of watching the news and seeing story after story about shady back- room deals and pay-for-play politics. I'm not a career politician, but I am a lifelong voter, and I'm sick of the rhetoric without vision that spews from the Council chambers. Over the coming weeks, I will release detailed and realistic plans for how we can improve our city and our area. I have a vision for what Winnipeg can be, and it's time to do away with the rhetoric. I'm not afraid of telling the hard truth, and I will not back down from any challenge. The people of St. Boniface deserve no less.

3.      Infrastructure
Currently, Winnipeg's infrastructure deficit is in the billions of dollars, and yet there has been no tangible plan to come out of either City Hall or the Legislature to even begin to address this most fundamental problem. I believe that we need to work together with our provincial partners to establish a comprehensive plan to repair our city before it crumbles further. We need to explore all aspects of the problem, including funding, efficiency, and proper oversight to ensure that this most basic issue can be fixed.

I am aware that I am running to represent a ward that is overwhelmingly large and diverse. My goal is to try to address the concerns of all the residents, whether they are from St. Boniface, Island Lakes, Sage Creek, Windsor Park, or anywhere else within the boundaries. Furthermore, I believe in vision without rhetoric. To those ends, I would invite you to visit my website where you can learn more about me, my ideas, and my vision for the St. Boniface ward. I welcome your input and questions, and can be reached either by phone, e-mail, or on Twitter. If you'd like to support my campaign, either by displaying a sign on your property, volunteering, or making a donation, please don't hesitate to reach out.

While this is a brief introduction, I would ask you to revisit this site on a regular basis as I will be posting new insights into my goals, beliefs and plans that I would bring to City Hall.  Each posting will be targeted to a specific issue in this campaign and I encourage you to respond with your thoughts and ideas as it is only  with the voice of a community in its entirety will the evolution of Winnipeg truly take shape.

Ryan Davies
rdforstb@gmail.com
204-898-0528

No comments:

Post a Comment